Why I am Silly #2...



I realized when I picked up this blog again that I would be poking fun at myself once in a while, and this post will reinforce that.

One trait as husband and father I've acquired is, for lack of a better term, selective hearing. It's something that many dads/hubbys suffer from and it's okay: I'm hear for you. Get it? Hear?


Because puns, you know, make you wanna gnaw on your desktop computer after you've heard one too many...
 

Selective hearing can strike at any time, but is more prone to occur at home. With me, it usually happens when I'm focused on something. It's what my wife lovingly calls 'The Meyer Focus', because we've seen it happen to my father and brother respectively. I'll be doing something like playing video games or browsing on my phone and I get into this 'zone' of sorts and have filtered everything out around me.

My 'zone', but with me in the hammock staring at my phone.
 
At some point, I hear a voice, and I come out of my zone/funk/focus just in time to catch the latter half of whatever I was being asked. Here's my wife's favorite example (not exact):
 
Mandy: I'm glad you're here!
Me: You brought me three beers!?
 
I was lucky to have heard anything. Mandy jokes that I probably just hear the ocean sometimes when she or the kids are talking to me when in the zone. It's all in good fun though.
 
Have any of you suffered from selective hearing? :P
 


via GIPHY

Stay Weird,
Stay Retro,
Stay Silly (and selective)!

~B

Thanks to YouTube channel YogaYak for the background sounds. Go check them out for more Yoga-related goodness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment